Well-known People On The Isle Of Wight
There are and have been many famous folks on the Isle of Wight. Beneath is a choice of those who have lived on, or who’ve visited this wonderful island. Well-known individuals on the Isle of Wight range from Royalty to Tv Personalities, many coming right here for a better approach of life. So, read on and discover somewhat bit about some of the well-known people on the Isle of Wight.
Television Gardener of many BBC gardening shows (together with “Floor Pressure”) has a property in Cowes.
DAME ELLEN MACARTHUR
The only-handed round the world file breaking yachtswoman, born in Derbyshire is now primarily based in Cowes.
Victoria purchased Osborne Home from the Blachford household in 1845 and she and Prince Albert moved in, in 1846. The home proved to be too small and Albert set about re-designing and rebuilding it in partnership with Thomas Cubitt, the builder.
Born in 1857 by which time family visits to Osborne were part of the established routine. Beatrice, the youngest of Victoria & Albert’s nine children, became her mother’s companion. In 1885 she married Prince Henry of Battenburg at Whippingham Church. Henry was made Governor of the I.W. in 1889 and on his demise in 1896, Beatrice was granted the position, which she retained until her own death in 1944.
He was the son of John Hooke, the curate of All Saints, Freshwater. He was born there in 1635. His father died in 1643 and Robert went to London to be apprenticed to Peter Lely, the portrait painter. He did not remain lengthy however went to Westminster School and later to Oxford as a chorister. Here he grew to become curious about science and inventor the steadiness spring for watches. He died in 1703.
KING CHARLES I
The King was held prisoner in Carisbrooke Castle for a yr. He escaped to the Island in November 1647 the place he thought he could be protected but the Governor, Colonel Hammond was a parliamentarian and put him in prison. Despite two escape attempts he remained there until September 1648, when he was eliminated to Newport, then to Hurst Castle in November and at last to Windsor. He was executed on January 30th 1649.
Nash was an architect and had been visiting the Isle of Wight since 1793. In 1798 he purchased land in East Cowes and constructed a country retreat – East Cowes Castle (demolished in the 1960’s) the place he sometimes entertained Joseph Turner. He retired here in 1834 and died in Might 1835. He’s buried in St. James’ Church, East Cowes.
Born in London in 1837, his family moved to Bonchurch shortly after. At fist East Dene was rented but Captain Swinburne purchased it in 1841. He was educated at Eton & Oxford but returned to the Island in 1863. He spent a lot time at Northcourt, the home of his cousin, Mary Gordon (later Mrs. Disney Leith). East Dene was offered in 1865 however Swinburne was buried at Bonchurch in 1909.
ALFRED LORD TENNYSON
Tennyson first rented Farringford in 1853 and bought the house in 1858. In later years he was harassed by sightseers and in 1869 decided to move to Haselmere. Nonetheless he still spent the winter months right here. His last keep was in June tinto capo stone island 1892 and he died the following October. The downs above Freshwater bear his name.
He did not invent diaries however probably improved them out of all recognition. He was born in 1803 in London however moved to the Island a while before 1859. He bought a house called Sea View at Chale and lived there until his dying. He was buried at Norwood Cemetery. In 1864 he erected a small temple to commemorate the tercentenary of Shakespeare’s beginning.
SIR JOHN HENRY CORKE
Born at 20 Cross Avenue, West Cowes on 12th February, 1850. He went on to turn out to be 4 times mayor of Portsmouth (1912 to 1915) and was Knighted by King George V in 1916 for his war work. He was additionally made a Chevalier of the Legion of Honour by French President Poincare in 1913.
JULIA MARGARET CAMERON
The photographer moved to the Isle of Wight in 1860 when she bought Dimbola in Freshwater. She was given her first digital camera three years later and shortly afterwards started to win international awards, and to carry exhibitions. She left the Island in 1875 to return to Ceylon the place her husband owned espresso plantations. She died there in 1879.
PROFESSOR JOHN MILNE
He spent nearly 20 years in Japan learning seismology – a science which he virtually founded in its fashionable type. Born in Liverpool in 1850 he retired from Japan to Shile Hill Home in 1895. He constructed an observatory there and lots of guests and students got here to his home. He died in 1913 and is buried in St. Paul’s, Barton.
Marconi was born in 1874 and moved to England in 1896 after the Italian put up office refused to test his new wireless gear. His mom was a Jameson of whisky fame. He wished to advertise his work on the wireless telegraphy and England was the apparent place. In 1897 he chose Alum Bay as one of many websites for his experiment. He erected a 40 metre mast outside the Needles Lodge from the place he transmitted to the Haven Hotel in Poole practically 20 miles away. Experiments were carried out for a couple of year, including one involving a link-up between the Prince of Wales, on the Royal Yacht Osborne and Queen Victoria at Stone Island Clothes Osborne Home. Marconi then transferred his consideration to cross-channel links. He experimented from Knowles Farm, Niton the place there is a stone lower with the next inscription – “That is to commemorate that Marconi arrange a wireless experimental station here in A.D. 1900”. Whereas in Niton he stayed at the Royal Sandrock Hotel.
Born at East Cowes in 1898, he spent virtually his entire life on the Island, although he really died at the home of mates in Worcestershire. He was a notable local “character” who included royalty amongst his mates. He designed and constructed many well-known boats – one of many more moderen being the Britannia by which John Fairfax crossed the Atlantic single-handed (the boat was constructed by the native agency Lallows in Cowes).
The inventor of the bouncing bomb amongst different things, was born in Derbyshire in 1887. He began his apprenticeship as an engineer with the Thames Engineering Company, however in 1908 he transferred his indentures to J. Samuel White at Cowes. He left in 1913 when he was provided a job at Vickers as Chief Assistant designing airships. He died in Leatherhead in 1979.
EARL MOUNTBATTEN OF BURMA
Born Prince Louis of Battenburg in 1900, he was the fourth child and second son of Prince Louis of Battenburg and Princess Victoria of Hesse (a grand-daughter of Queen Victoria).
The poet moved to the Isle of Wight in 1929 and made his house on the Undercliff at Lisle Combe, where his family nonetheless live. He spent the conflict in Canada but returned to the Island in 1949 and died right here in 1958. He’s buried near Farringford.
The creator moved to the Isle of Wight in 1933 when he lived at Billingham Manor. He later moved to Brook Hill Home earlier than moving back to the mainland in 1959.
SIR CHRISTOPHER COCKERELL
The inventor of the hovercraft spent two years from 1959 on the Island creating his first prototype at East Cowes.
He was in the Income Service as the Collector of Cowes with responsibility for Customs Duty between Southampton and Poole. His son was Thomas Arnold (1795-1842) the famed Dr. Arnold of Rugby (College) as portrayed in “Tom Brown’s Schooldays”. Thomas Arnold, in his early days of education was despatched to Warminster School (Wiltshire) earlier than going to Winchester College and then Oxford College. His son, Matthew Arnold (1822-1888) became the nicely-identified poet and critic.
In his autobiography ‘The moon’s a Balloon’ actor David Niven says he spent part of his childhood residing at Rose Cottage, Bembridge.
The novelist attended Ryde School. He has written novels about his childhood on the Island.
REVEREND LEIGH RICHMOND
Vicar of Brading and author. He wrote the well-known Dairyman’s Daughter, the story of Elizabeth Wallbridge. The ebook influenced writers from Charlotte Bronte to Charles Dickens and sold over 10 million copies in 40 languages.
The playwright is thought to have attended Sandown Grammar School, where he helped direct several school performs. He was a scriptwriter for Grange Hill, Inspector Morse, and the movies Truly Madly Deeply and the Proficient Mr Ripley.. He gained an Oscar for Director of The English Affected person . His father still owns Minghella’s Ice Cream manufacturing unit in Wootton.
The famously tone deaf Conservative minister spent a part of her childhood on the Island.
Elizabeth was The Dairyman’s Daughter. The ebook about her written by the Revd. Leigh Richmond, Vicar of Brading, was the most widely read religious tract of the 19th century. Born in 1770 at Arreton, the guide chronicled her conversion to Methodism and her dying at the age of 30 from consumption. Her grave in the church at Arreton was a scene of pilgrimage for hundreds, including Queen Victoria.
The composer famous for compositions reminiscent of “Bells Across the Meadow”, “In a Monastery Garden” and “In a Persian Market”. He was born in Aston, Birmingham 9th August 1875, moved to Egypt Hill, Cowes and died there 26th November 1959.
He was for a time Rector of Brighstone before appointment as Bishop of Oxford, later Bishop of Winchester. He is one of the Three Bishops commemorated in the pub title at Brighstone. Samuel’s father, William Wilberforce, campaigned for the abolition of slavery and can be thought to have visited the Island. Whereas Bishop of Oxford, Samuel Wilberforce attacked Darwin’s book “Origin of the Species” in a debate at the College whereas Thomas Huxley defended Darwin’s ideas.
Born in Covent Garden in 1775. Twenty years later he visited the Isle of Wight. He returned in late summer and must have stayed for no less than every week, possibly longer, as he travelled across the Island filling his sketchbook. In 1827 he returned as a visitor of John Nash at East Cowes Castle.
He visited the Island twice, the first time in April 1817, when he stayed at Carisbrooke. Right here he started work on Endymion. He returned in 1819 for health causes as he was suffering from consumption. He stayed at Eglantine Cottage in Shanklin from July 1819 until the center of August.
Dickens stayed at Winterbourne, Bonchurch, in 1849. He arrived in July and although he planned to depart at the top of September, he stayed till October. Whilst here, he wrote two drafts of David Copperfield – one in all which was in all probability the final version.
THOMAS BOBINGTON MACAULEY
He was already working on his History of England when he came to stay at Madeira Hall, Bonchurch, for a working vacation in 1850. He arrived late in August and stayed till the end of September. He died two years later.
HENRY WADSWORTH LONGFELLOW
The American poet visited Shanklin in July 1868. The fountain outdoors the Crab Inn the place he stayed nonetheless bears an inscription written by him. Whereas on the Island he visited Tennyson at Farringford and sat for Mrs. Cameron.
Like so many others, he visited the Island for well being reasons. His first visit was to Ryde in the Summer of 1874. He returned to stay in Ventnor in December 1881, after his wife died but the keep was quick and he returned to London in the middle of January 1882. He returned at the end of October the same yr. He left in the course of January, following the dying of one among his daughters. he died in March 1883.
He spent part of his summer season holidays of 1888 at Ventnor staying with the sister of his nurse (Mrs. Everest). Her husband was a prison warder at Parkhurst. He also came in January 1889 to recuperate from a short illness and once more in 1910 to help the Liberal candidate in an election. The home was originally ‘Flint Cottage’, now the reception to Ventnor Vacation Villas (see picture right). A plaque on the wall of the cottage reads “Sir Winston L P Churchill 1874 – 1965 Stayed at Flint Cottage in 1878, the primary of many visits to Ventnor. Whilst here he saw the wreck of H. M. coaching ship Eurydice which capsized off Dunnose March twenty fourth 1878 with the loss of greater than 300 lives.”
Lewis Carroll stayed at Sandown whereas accumulating materials for “Alice in Wonderland”. “The Hunting of the Snark” was one other of Carroll’s nice works however there is some debate whether or not or not he wrote it on the Island.
Darwin began his world famous “Origin of the Species” whereas staying at the Kings Head Hotel in Sandown.
Pitman wrote his shorthand dictionary whereas staying on the Isle of Wight.
Pre-Raphaelite artist who visited the Island and painted a minimum of one panorama.
Artist who frequented the Inn at Freshwater Bay which has turn out to be The Albion and tried to keep away from his creditors!
Stayed on the Pier Lodge in 1959 and after that she rented a house in Seaview.
Tv crime reporter from Police 5 and many others. along with his distinctive catchphrase “Keep ’em Peeled”, lives in Totland.
The Bee Gee’s Supervisor and proprietor of theatres in London lives at Barton Manor, East Cowes.
Famous as Mr Bronson in “Grange Hill” Tv Programme and function in Star Wars Movies lives in Ryde.
Actress who has been in “Absolutely Fabulous”, “Dinnerladies” and plenty of different Television reveals, lives in Cowes.
The ex BBC newsreader born in India, now lives in Cowes and owns an art store there.
Famous for starring in lots of “Carry On” films, Jack lives in Shanklin.
Bill, well-known for taking part in the fire warden in “Dad’s Army” lives in Totland next door to Shaw Taylor.
Formerly of the Shadows, Jet lives in Bembridge and does exhibits about twice a yr and they are always sold out!
Attended Ryde Secondary Fashionable Faculty where he was a keen member of the Drama Membership. He later wrote the hit tv comedy, “Some Mothers Do ‘Ave ‘Em”.
Concerning the Author Martin Ager
Isle of Wight tourist information caters for all of the tourist wants on the Isle of Wight. It’s an extensive guide for all tourism and leisure actions. Martin Ager is the creator, please see http://www.isleofwighttouristguide.com.